I thought I would go ahead and blog about the day Cooper was born. It definitely did not go as planned.
Thursday morning, there were some things going on that I was concerned about (trying not to have TMI). Called the doctor on call. She said that since I wasn't having contractions, I should be ok.
Friday morning, I started having some back pain. I thought it had to do with bathroom issues, so I thought nothing of it. One of my best friends was in labor that day and ended up having her son that night. Went to bed around 1am, and then I started having really bad pain at 2:30am. Went to the bathroom, soaked in a hot bath. None of that worked. Called the doctor at 3:30am. She told me to go ahead and head to the hospital. The contractions were coming fast and were consistent. Got to the hospital around 5:15am. They checked me. They asked me if my water had broke. I said if it did, I had no idea. Apparently, it had since I had no fluid, and there was meconium. I was in triage for about an hour. Then, I was dilated to a 5 and was admitted to a delivery room. My plan was not to have an epidural since Colton's was messed up. Well, the contractions were coming all the time and were fierce. I cried "epidural". The anesthesiologist was with someone else. A few minutes later, I'm screaming for an epidural again. They checked me, and I had gone from a 5 to a 10 in less than an hour. So, I went all natural! It was very hard for me not to push-Cooper wanted out! So, in less than 10 minutes of pushing, Cooper made his appearance! Well, they had to whisk him away to start getting the meconium out of his throat. Well, he also had a slight fever. They thought it was the lights from the warmer, but after turning it off for a while, the fever was still there. I got to hold him for like 2 minutes, Winston the same, and then off to the NICU. It was so hard to be taken to my room and be there for 2 days without my baby. People came to visit, but it was weird.
Sunday morning at 1:30am, I get a call from the NICU doctor. Cooper had to be put on oxygen. His body was trying to revert back to breathing as if in the womb and not on his own. If his breathing did not improve, he would have to be put on a ventilator. Winston had gone home to get some sleep, so I was all alone when I got the call. I called Winston, just overcome with tears. Around 6:30am, I got a call from the NICU telling me that his breathing had improved and no ventilator was needed.
After spinal taps, blood work, and such...his diagnosis was Group Strep B Pneumonia, even though I had tested negative for it. The doctor had told me that the reason we can't eradicate this illness is because doctors test too early in pregnancy for it. In addition, it could have festered since I didn't have any amniotic fluid to help with the meconium. They had also found that a little bit of meconium had gotten into his lungs, he had a partial lung collapse, and the pulmonary arteries had to be opened up (from the earlier breathing issues). As the days went on, he made great strides and improvements. I was so happy that Friday when I went to see him and the lights, warmer, and all tubes, except the IV port, was there! Since he was doing so well, I got to room with him at the hospital until he was discharged. It was hard being away from Winston, Cassidy, and Colton, but I needed to get to know my son, and him know me.
He was in the NICU for 9 days, in order to get full doses of antibiotic. He is truly our miracle child. Through our prayers, as well as those of family and friends, we can truly say that this was all God. He has plans for our little boy, and we are just so thankful and blessed for His healing powers! When I got wheeled out the day I was discharged, that was the hardest thing seeing people look at me without my baby. That could have happened if it had not been for the awesome doctors and nurses of the NICU, but first and foremost, for our Lord.
We want to thank everyone for their prayers for Cooper, as well as for the rest of the family. This was the hardest thing to go through, and we are truly blessed beyond words. May God bless you and your family!
No comments:
Post a Comment